[ka-Map-users] Number of tiles displayed

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Aug 1 10:18:29 EDT 2006

Jorden,

the number of tiles that are initially loaded depend on:

1) size of map in the page and tile size.  If your map is 600 x 400
and your tile size is 200 x 200, you need a minimum of 3x2 = 6 tiles
to fill the map.  ka-Map also adds tiles around the edge to ensure
that as the user drags, there's something to fill in with.  This
would typically add 3 more tiles in each direction so you end up with
6 x 5 = 30 tiles.  A 'full page' map can easily end up requesting 80
tiles ...

2) number of discrete layers in the client (GROUPS on the server
side).  For each one that is ON, multiple by the number above.

3) depending on the version of ka-Map you are using, it may load
tiles for layers that are not ON

4) size of individual tiles depends on the output format you have
chosen.  If you are using PNG24 or JPEG with a low compression, you
will have 20-40kb tiles.  GIF and 8bit PNG (and high compression
JPEG) will end up in the 8-20kb range.

If you only have one layer and a large map, try starting the users
off with a small map size and giving them a control to dynamically
make it larger if they want to take the performance hit.

If you have multiple layers and they are all on by default, try
turning the extra layers off for the first load to prevent the extra
tiles on initial page load and allow the users to turn them on as
required.