[ka-Map-users] Crash with Gmap demo

Jeff Dege jdege at korterra.com
Tue Aug 8 18:41:14 EDT 2006

I'm trying to get the ka-map-0.2 demo running with gmap-ms46.

I configured everything as described, and got a crash in php-cgi.exe:

  The instruction at "0x77fcd977" referenced memory at "0x00000038".
The memory could not be "written".

Gmap-ms46 comes with a number of map files, so I tried editing
kamap\include\config.php to reference gmap75_wms.map, instead of
gmap75.map, and it worked.

So made a copy of gmap75_wms.map (which worked), and did a diff against
gmap75.map (which didn't) and proceeded to change one line at a time
until I had the minimum difference that triggered the crash.

There are two.

In gmap75.map (which doesn't work), I find:

  #
  # Start of web interface definition
  #
  WEB
    MINSCALE 2000000
    MAXSCALE 50000000
  #
  # On Windows systems, /tmp and /tmp/ms_tmp/ should be created at the
root
  # of the drive where the .MAP file resides.
  #
    IMAGEPATH "/ms4w/tmp/ms_tmp/"
    IMAGEURL "/ms_tmp/"
  #  LOG "/tmp/gmap.log"
  END

In my gmap75_test.map (which does work), I have:

  #
  # Start of web interface definition
  #
  WEB
    MINSCALE 2000000
    MAXSCALE 50000000
  #
  # On Windows systems, /tmp and /tmp/ms_tmp/ should be created at the
root
  # of the drive where the .MAP file resides.
  #
    IMAGEPATH "/ms4w/tmp/ms_tmp/"
    IMAGEURL "/ms_tmp/"
  END

  PROJECTION
    "init=epsg:42304"
  END

If I remove the PROJECTION section from my gmap75_test.map, I get the
crash.  Or if I add the commented-out LOG line in the WEB section, I get
the crash.

This is using a freshly-installed kmap_0.2_ms4w.zip and gmap_ms46.zip.

On Windows, using the ms4w of Mapserver 4.9.

It has all the signs of being a random memory stomp - unitialized
variables, somewhere in the php executable or the php_mapscript.dll.