[ka-Map-users] Color shifts using QUANTIZE_COLORS=256

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Aug 9 20:55:36 EDT 2006

Steve Lime wrote:
> You know what's funny is that old versions of MapServer used to reserve
> colors
> by computing a palette when looking at the mapfile. That way the vector
> data
> always was consistent.

I think there is has been code added to do this again in the current
version of code.

> I think a PALETTE option within the IMAGE block might be a way to go.
> That way
> you could define a set of colors to pre-allocate when setting up 8-bit
> imagery. Something
> like:
>
>   PALETTE 'colors.txt'
>
> Where colors.txt would contain:
>
> r g b
> r g b

The other way to do this that I have been doing for some time now is to
create an image in photoshop and set single pixels to the colors that
are important to me and insert is as the first LAYER in the mapfile
which causes its colors to be added to the map image before any
antialiasing is done.

BUT, this does not solve the problem of PNG24 RGBA images required for
AA brushes and squashing images to PNG8 with the
gdCreateColorPaletteFromTrueColor() (or whatever it is called) function
because we do not have direct control of the color palette in this case,
unless we clone and modify the algorithm by somehow making the colors
"sticky" in the palette.

Steve I would be interested in knowing what you think about the later
approach.

Since I only have limited experience with ImageMagick, it is really hard
for me to say if it would solve these particular problems or not. Than
again, if we want really pretty images AGG seems to be the way to go :)

-SteveW