[ka-Map-users] XMLOverlay question

Lorenzo Becchi lorenzo at ominiverdi.com
Wed Aug 23 12:26:34 EDT 2006

Hi Stephane,

 > Do xmloverlay can handle about 2000 icons point or do I have to find
 > another solutions ?
In my own opinion, you are trying to show too many points.

If they are just points you can better use
-------------------
idx=10; //this is the z-index of the drawn layer for canvas
canvas = myKaMap.createDrawingCanvas( idx );

(loop you point list)
img = document.createElement('img');
img.src = 'images/tip-green.png';
img.onmouseover= myOnmouseover;
myKaMap.addObjectGeo( canvas, lon, lat, img );
(end loop)
----------------------------------
This will require less browser memory and performances.

Anyway I think that 2000 is beyond the limit that generic browser
should allow.
There's always the risk to add more points an going far beyond the
limit.

If they don't change so often, I would create a mapserver LAYER for
this points and create a function to query this points showing a
tooltip when you click on the map (or whatever you prefer).
Rendering and navigation should be faster.

did you tried to save the file that describes coordinates for all
this point and see its dimensions?
I guess it should be heavy.

ciao
Lorenzo