[ka-Map-users] Turning off the scalebar

David Badke dbadke at uvic.ca
Fri Jan 20 14:12:56 EST 2006

In some of the maps I need to display, "scale" is meaningless to the
viewer, so the displayed scalebar is not needed and is actually
confusing. Using the CVS version of ka-Map, I want to turn the display
of the scalebar off (actually the whole scalebar box), while keeping the
legend visible. I tried setting the SCALEBAR status to OFF in the .map
file, but that didn't work; as far as I can tell, the whole SCALEBAR
section is ignored. I know I can modify the ka-Map code to remove the
scalebar, but I would really rather not do that. A brief look through
the code suggests that the whole "reference" section is meant to act as
a group, with the only control of its visibility being through the
toggle button.

What I really want is for ka-Map to follow the SCALEBAR status setting
in the .map file, or at least be able to turn the scalebar off for
individual maps with a setting in the $aszMapFiles array. For the moment
it is not a big issue, but I think ka-Map should have the ability to
generate the scalebar or not, on a per-map basis. Same for the legend,
independent of the scalebar (ie: be able to show both, either, or neither).

If I get time, I may have a go at adding this functionality myself, but
for the moment, consider this a suggestion for the suggestion box!

David