[ka-Map-users] equidistant projection assumption

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Jan 31 21:03:36 EST 2006

Right, that's not really clear in the code.  ka-Map does assume that
there is a proportional relationship between pixel and geographic
space, but it doesn't assume a geographic projection ... as Daniel
pointed out, MapServer deals with that.  However, ka-Map doesn't
provide any sort of support for working in a different projection
than the map.  For instance, you cannot zoom to a latitude and
longitude using decimal degrees if your map projection is in LCC
using meters (for instance).  The community mapbuilder project has a
projection library in javascript that can do client-side reprojection
in some cases that could be used.  Alternately you could hit a server-
side script to reproject but that would be pretty slow I think :)