[ka-Map-users] Point Collision

Wei Yang, Ng - Wayne wayne at datalinktech.com.au
Wed Jul 5 01:15:34 EDT 2006

Hi Pg,
      Will you be working on a point collision system for your overlay
code? If not, I would like to try creating one. Any pointers or hints?
The collision stuff will be triggered by a flag set by the XML document.
    If we want collision detection on, the points will be created but
will remain hidden (using style.display = none) first while we determine
which points should be displayed and which should remain hidden. The
colliding hidden points can then be represented by only one point. (1
point to represent many points within the user-defined region.) I have
thought of possible problems that may arise, such as collision chains.
We wouldnt want a long string of colliding points to be represented by
only 1 point.

    Anyway, I could start of by defining an imaginary collision
detecting square around a point first and work my way up as stuff
hopefully works.

Cheers,
Wayne