[ka-Map-users] New User, few simple questions (set extents, iframe, xmlOverlay, precache)

Alvin Clay orionkamap at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 24 00:55:26 EDT 2006

I am a new ka-map user and have a few questions that might be simple but can't find the documentation for it, hopefully this list can help set me straight. I already have ka-Map up and running thanks to Steven Woodbridge, but need some immediate help now.

I am planning on having ka-Map run in an iframe on a php page. This page will need to display overlay points on the map depending on the data requested. Here's what I need to do to have this work:

1) Extents - I want to be able to have the maps start out at a certain center point and zoom level, but do not know how to send this information to the iframe.html inserted frame. I tried appending a simple array hardcoded to the query string, but got weird results, it's probably the way I sent it.... iframe.html?extents=[-75,40,5] ...?  Preferably I'd like to have the zoom level be dynamic depending on the extent of the points I need to plot, but if I can at least pick a center point and a standard zoom level, that would be ok.

2) I have installed ka-map 0.2, but I don't see neither the precache.php script nor the overlay pages. What version do I need and where/how do I find it, to get both the precache scripts and the overlay scripts? I suppose these are in the CVS version but don't know how to get it.

3) Are there any suggestions for the best way to send an overlay xml file to the iframe map? The xml would only need to be generated when the main page is loaded/reloaded depending on the data requested, but since the map is in an iframe can it read variables from the main page? I could probably figure this one out if I had the xmloverlay files in my ka-map version, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case someone has dealt with it before. The first two questions are more important.

Thanks all,
Alvin