[ka-Map-users] About ka-Map's performance when group mor e than 30

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Jun 9 07:19:35 EDT 2006

If all visible layers are in one group, then you are at the minimum
resource usage already (one set of tiles in the cache, one set of
images loaded to client).  If you want to increase flexibility (layer
ordering), you would normally do so at an extra cost of cache space
and images loaded to the client.  You could possibly avoid the extra
cache space by choosing not to cache tiles of certain layers (see the
wiki for details) but this will reduce overall performance because
uncached tiles have to be generated every page load.

This is a limitation of using this type of mapping engine, or at
least I can't think of a way to get more flexibility without
sacrificing client performance, server performance, and/or disk cache
size.