[ka-Map-users] Canvas memory usage?

Justin George justin.george at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 18:19:16 EDT 2006

I'm having a problem isolating why canvas is using so much memory.

Currently, on firefox 1.5, when a canvas is created using the line

(in kaXmlOverlay.js, line 1053, kaXmlPolygon.prototype.draw_canvas)

var ctx = _BrowserIdent_getCanvasContext(this.canvas);

memory usage jumps by around 200mb. This is not important for
development, but, as most of our target users have far less memory
than this, it is becoming important as we move towards deployment.

You're the resident canvas expert, PG, so perhaps you could shed some
light on the behavior of canvas?

Thanks