[ka-Map-users] Pre-Rendered Tiles and Shape Highlight

Lorenzo Becchi lorenzo at ominiverdi.com
Wed Mar 29 17:46:41 EST 2006

Hola Pedro,
thanks you very much for your comments.
We thought our solution was quite cryptic.

you:
1) I would like to ka-Map have some "pre-cache" features, so
"static" layers (e.g. raster images, or country borders in a
world map) doesn't have to be rendered every time. As I
could understand, your implementation will cover this, when
you say "pre-rendered tiles", isn't it?

me:
  this is "normal" ka-Map, please send me the post where I wrote "pre-
rendered tiles" that I can provide you better comments.

you:
2) I would like to ka-Map have a shape highlight feature like
MapGuide Open Source (MapServer Open Source). When
you click in a shape (e.g. a country in a world map), the
shape is highlighted (lines and fill color changes). It's possible
to do this with your code?

me:
It can be done but at the moment that code is really experimental.
We are developing on our own effort and without sponsorship we
develop when we have free time.
What you are asking is in our TODO list but it needs quite a big
effort to be fully developed. As you can immagine there are many
different variables that have to managed.
The first idea has been to create a layer on the fly parsing some KML
or GML. That's a good way to have polygons drawn and persistent
during the navigation. This solution can naturally pass from a server
call without creating GML.
This is the working part.
Than we tried to put some interactivity on. We created a new div with
an HTML image map capable to capture events. That's the tricky part:
Firefox works, Safari more or less, IE (as usual) not. I left
debugging to work on the tooltip stuff.
Anyway the thing could be refined:
Maybe you can ask for an additional button on the legend to select
witch layer can be highlighted.
You can have better fantasy than me and suggest something better

my best regards
Lorenzo