[ka-Map-users] Precaching, metatiling, and mapserver

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Wed May 17 19:27:25 EDT 2006

Justin, comments inline ... my overall response is that if you are
pregenerating then it is worth making the metatile size as large as
you can, certainly in the 2000x2000 pixel range and probably higher
if you can recompile mapserver ...

On 17-May-06, at 7:15 PM, Justin George wrote:

> I've been delving into precacheing more deeply here lately, and I have
> a couple questions that should be fairly simple if people are doing
> the same thing I am (precaching the entire extents of the map data to
> be rendered)
>
> A) Which is faster, large metatiles or small metatiles?
> Right now I've increased the size, which seems to give faster
> generation. Using 800x800 tiles at 4x4 per metatile looks to be giving
> me about 30% speed increase.

in general, the larger the meta tile, the slower rendering an
individual metatile will be but the less of them for total processing
time.  I'd recommend (if you are precaching) jacking up the metatile
size as large as possible.  At some point, it may become slower for
mapserver to render the metatile than to process several metatiles,
but the advantage is that larger metatiles mean less labelling
problems and probably nicer looking maps.

I typically use about 1200x1200 meta tiles.  By default, mapserver
allows up to 2000x2000 pixels (or something like that).  If you want
to have larger meta tiles, you probably have to rebuild mapserver
with the limit changed (not sure how to do that).

> B) Is there a good reason to delete the metatiles besides the space
> requirement?
> I'm currently not running anywhere near my space limits (3gb of a
> 120gb array) so I'm curious whether unlinking the metatiles helps
> anything, or whether I can turn it off to not have to regenerate them
> later.

nope.  Although if you need to regenerate the tiles, its likely that
having the metatile around isn't going to be that useful :)

> C) What seems to be the slowest part of precaching?
> To me it's looking like the initial generation, but I'm curious
> whether cutting the tiles up takes a substantial amount of time, as
> well. If they don't, then (barring some inherent limit) it seems that
> I should ramp the metaWidth and metaHeight up even further, while
> keeping the tile sizes themselves small for faster downloading.

The larger the metatile, the longer it is going to take mapserver to
render it and I doubt that tiling takes much time at all.  There may
be a practical limit of what GD can handle for image sizes though.