[ka-Map-users] ka-map application layout

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Wed May 31 07:19:12 EDT 2006

On 30-May-06, at 8:26 PM, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:

> Scott Knutti wrote:
>> Hello all!
>> Looking for advice on an application layout...  We are trying to
>> integrate ka-map into a Java/JSF application.  We have a seperate
>> server that is running MapServer and holds all of the data.  The
>> application runs on another box.  We have tried putting an iframe
>> that resides on the MapServer machine in the app on the other box
>> and ran into the UniversalBrowseRead problem.  So we have move the
>> ka-map client onto the application server.  Now that it is not on
>> the MapServer box, can I simply modify the config.php file to
>> point to the mapfile on the MapServer box?  What is the best way
>> to layout an application like this?
>> Thanks,
>> Scott
>
> Scott,
>
> We ran into the same problem and when we looked at init.php we saw
> that is only threw back a bunch of initialization parameters for
> the mapfile. Since we only have a singe mapfile we decided to get
> rid of it and just embed the parameters directly into the
> index.html page and all tiles are served just fine. This of course
> eliminated the ability to use other features that require AJAX
> access to the server, but our application was then happy fetching
> services from the applications server and to get tiles from the
> mapserver.

Scott and Steve,

I solved the problem the same way Steve did, if that's worth
anything.  One further clue.  If you need to use AJAX and find you
can't because of this security issue, you can use script tag
injection instead of XmlHttpRequest.  Using this method, you can do
something like:

var s = document.createElement('script');
s.src = 'remote.php';
document.getElementsByTagName('HEAD')[0].appendChild(s);

This will cause the contents of remote.php to be executed as
javascript without the security restrictions normally associated with
XmlHttpRequest or iframe methods.  The downside is that your script
has to return javascript.