[ka-Map-users] Photos

Samuel Hiatt samhiatt at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 20:45:49 EDT 2007

Ok...

Just to clarify, are you going to add the images as a raster layer, for
example as a ground image overlay like the Grande Vitoria layers at hiparc?
Or are you going to add a point data layer which links to the photos, like
the Fotos Panoramicas layer (where the photo is displayed once you query
that point)?

Adding the raster image is just a matter of adding the layer into your
mapfile (That is fairly well documented in the mapserver documentation).  If
you want to add queryable points that display a photo then it is a bit more
difficult, but definitely doable.  I've not done anything like that yet, but
I believe what I plan to write up for the wiki will address the things you
need to know in order to add such functionality.

While you wait for my wiki article, try looking at
http://ka-map.ominiverdi.org/wiki/index.php/Adding_objects_to_map which
describes (briefly) how to add new content to your GUI (in your case a div
in which to display your photos).  You would then configure the query tool
to update that photo div with the appropriate photo based on the results of
the query.

If you are trying to add satellite (or aerial photos) to your basemap, then
you should take a look at
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/raster_data.  If you want some cool
satellite data I might be able to help you find some as I am becoming more
familiar with the sources available from the USGS, etc.  But maybe you
already have that.

Hope this helps for now!  Feel free to ask me if you need some more help!

Sam