[ka-Map-users] Newbie: Need help with IIS configuration???

Todd Fagin tfagin at coordinatesolutions.com
Wed May 23 17:52:31 EDT 2007

Greetings Ka-Map users,

I am an extreme newbie to the world of Ka-Map and am having problems getting
the application to work.  I have worked with MapServer before, though,
primarily writing and testing map files that others eventually deploy.  I am
pretty ignorant about all things server related, so please bear with me as I
try to explain what I have done and the problems encountered.  I cannot
guarantee that I will always use the correct terminology to explain things.

First things, first:  I am running IIS 5.1 and recently installed the latest
version of PHP for IIS.  I confirmed the installation was successful via a
simple "hello world" program using the PHP echo() statement. Also, as
previously alluded, I already had MS4W installed and working.

Second, since I am using IIS instead of Apache (which all of the
documentation I have been able to find seems to be related to Apache), I
decided to use my very limited knowledge of servers to proceed.  I created a
virtual directory called kamap under my default website and pointed this to
the appropriate directory (in my case C:\ka-map-1.0\htdocs).

Next, following steps in both the Ka-Map wiki and Tyler Mitchell tutorial
<http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2005/08/10/ka-map.html?page=1> , I configured
Ka-Map (version 1.0).  Originally, I tried to use a map file that I had
previously written. I have used this map file in a MapServer application
before, so I know there aren't any problems with it.  I nonetheless ran
shp2img to confirm this.  Again, no problems with the map file.

Nonetheless, once I made appropriate changes to the include/config.dist.php
file and renamed it config.dist, I could not get my Ka-Map application to
work.  Perhaps I am going about this incorrectly, but what I did was, using
my browser (Firefox 1.5.0.11 in case that information is of use to anyone),
I entered the following url: http://localhost/kamap/index.html.  And, as you
can guess, I did not get a map.

So, I decided to follow Tyler Mitchell's tutorial a little closer and use
the map file and data he uses: global.map. Again, using shp2img I confirmed
there were no problems with my map file.

Still, no map.  I tried some additional tweaking, moving the map file and
data to different directories (and ensuring I updated all relevant lines of
code when I did so).  I put the map file in the /include directory. I put it
in htdocs directory.  I put it in its own directory.  No matter what I did,
no map.

Finally (well, I actually did this as I went along, too), I followed the
various suggestions in the troubleshooting section of the wiki.  The last
item seems to be the biggest clue to date: "If you are still having
problems, you can try loading the init.php file into your URL."  And that I
did: http://localhost/kamap/init.php:

And here is what I get:

Warning: dl() [function.dl <http://localhost/kamap/function.dl> ]: Not
supported in multithreaded Web servers - use extension=php_mapscript_46.dll
in your php.ini in C:\ka-map-1.0\htdocs\init.php on line 118

Fatal error: Call to undefined function ms_newMapObj() in
C:\ka-map-1.0\htdocs\init.php on line 124

Per the warning, the best I can tell, I AM using
extension=php_mapscript_46.dll:

$szPHPMapScriptModule = 'php_mapscript_46.'.PHP_SHLIB_SUFFIX;

As for the fatal error, I am stumped (line 124: $oMap = ms_newMapObj(
$aszMapFile['path'] );

Any suggestions, tips, constructive berating, etc. would be greatly
appreciated.  Feel free to contact me off list, if you please.

Thanks,

Todd Fagin

Coordinate Solutions, Inc.

501 N.E. 15th St.