[ka-Map-users] Architectural questions.

The Bun rosario.carbone at ipl.com
Tue Nov 6 11:19:14 EST 2007

I have few architectural questions. Mainly, is regarding kaMap and
OpenLayers, they both seems to be client-side ajax package right? Plus kamap
has some PHP back end for tiling while OL has something called TileCache,
right?

I currently have developed some prototypes based on a MapServer plus a
customized kaMap. I have read that kaMap is implementing, is going to
implement OL, I am not sure I quite understand what that means, is means
kaMap is going to wrap JavaScript functionalities like zooming, panning etc
of OL? On the other side I see that from OL you can actually working with
kaMap layers ( although I couldn't test it), I really don't understand what
is the utility for doing that.

On the OL forums I read that OpenLayers may runs in the browser and accesses
ka-map tiling code running on the server, which in turn calls MapServer.

On this forum I read that kamappers developers are going to implement OL in
kaMap.

I am struggling to understand what are the essential pieces of the puzzle I
need and what I have to expect for the future, seems that many people who
has used kaMap are going for a mixed solution or a full solution with OL and
TileCache.

For my purpose, I am quite happt with kaMap + MapServer although I had to
struggle quite a lot to implement JavaScript functionalities not yet
supported in kaMap ( and seems that in OL are already supported ), but again
I'd like your opinion.

Kind Regards

Rosario Carbone