[ka-Map-users] Architectural questions.

The Bun rosario.carbone at ipl.com
Thu Nov 8 09:51:46 EST 2007

> On 7-Nov-07, at 7:34 AM, The Bun wrote:

>> I think as "better" mainly the drawing speed: Panning, Zooming,
>> caching etc.
>> But "better" is also a rich and working client API as well. I may
>> need more
>> functionalities like for example, adding features, showing info
>> windows,
>> handling events on the map and the features, run searches
>> on the layers etc.

> Then OpenLayers is probably what you should be using.

> Cheers

> Paul

> |Paul Spencer                          pspencer at dmsolutions.ca    |
> |Chief Technology Officer                                         |
> |DM Solutions Group Inc                http://www.dmsolutions.ca/ |

Hi Paul,

I followed your suggestion and started to test OpenLayers. First thing I
noticed was that there is no much documentation around, but this is a
problem of all open sources and you need a lot of time to make your code
running, fortunately at this stage I have some time for experiment so..... I
also have been quite lucky as I could test my main base map (MapServer map)
with OL that talks directly to MapServer via WMS, I didn't try with the CGI
directly but I'll do.

In your opinion, or anybody opinion, this is an open discussion, what are
the advantages of using
OpenLayers.Layer.MapServer instead of OpenLayers.Layer.WMS?

My first impression with OL anyway is that seems quite slow and quite
difficult to use as well. I also want to test with the interface of kaMap or
TileCache and check how much the performances will improve.

Finally, I am not pretty sure I am going to the decide for OpenLayers,
because, and it is my impression, it seems to be aestetically very nice and
with a rich API but more difficult to use and a bit unstable I may prefer
carrying on with kaMap nevertheless the limitation of the API which
potentially can be improved.
What is your opinion?

Regards
Rosario