[ka-Map-users] Architectural questions.

The Bun rosario.carbone at ipl.com
Fri Nov 9 05:47:16 EST 2007

> Interesting. I'm aware that the examples
> http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/ don't cover everything (though they
> do cover a lot of individual functionality), but I'm curious as to how
> you think the API docs
> (http://dev.openlayers.org/apidocs/files/OpenLayers-js.html) are
> lacking?

I am new to open sources world and the level of documentation if peraphs
accettable. I didn't mean in terms of technical documentation ( api and code
examples ) but I meant in terms of architecture, the issues we are talking
about in this thread. Also in terms of installation and configuration.

> I think you should be careful to define what you mean by 'slow' when
> testing: do you mean that the javascript in the browser seems slow to
> load or dragging the map is slow? Or do you mean that the data (tiles)
> are slow?

> The former is something I haven't personally run into for simple
> applications in OpenLayers, but the latter is absolutely going to be
> true -- and is outside the realm of OpenLayers. (At that point, your
> complaint is actually 'mapserver is slow' -- you just don't know it.)

Well, honestly not exremely slow, we are talking about a WMS anyway, but to
be more precise I meant mainly the loading ( re-loading ) and the zooming
but as I said to Paul my comment here was probably a bit premature as I
haven't tested yet with a caching mechanism yet, I'll do it and I'll come
back on this point.

> What aspect of OpenLayers do you feel is a bit unstable?

Again, this is my first impression, probably a premature comment again, but
one example? When you use OpenLayers.layer.WMS, in your list of layers if
you have spaces after the comma your WMS crashes. I didn't want to be
offensive to anybody and I don't want to be offensive now, I really
appreciate the hard work people does on these software but honestly the
above is a problem which is not a problem. The fact that for a WMS for
Mapserver there are duplication of settings makes the all architecture a bit
fragile.

>> I may prefer
>> carrying on with kaMap nevertheless the limitation of the API which
>> potentially can be improved.
>> What is your opinion?

> I doubt that would be the best path forward for you; however, I'm
> clearly biased.

Why?