[ka-Map-users] Best Linux file system type for ka-map cache?

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Wed Oct 24 14:43:46 EDT 2007

Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> Daniel Morissette wrote:
>> Does anyone have recommendations on the best Linux file system type to
>> use for a ka-Map cache? i.e. the most efficient file system for use
>> with large number of small files.
>>
>> Daniel
>
> Daniel,
>
> Our research has shown Reiserfs to be the fastest. All Linux FS suffer
> from the block allocation issues. That is the fact the files are
> allocated based based on a 4k block, but most water tiles are only 130
> bytes but use up 4k of disk. We have found some SAN devices that do
> their own internal space allocation that does not suffer from this
> effect, but I believe that is specific to the internal SAN implementations.
>
> -Steve

Thanks to both of you (Steve and Attila) for a very instructive
discussion. Sounds like reiserfs is the short answer to my initial question.

Your answer lead me to do a bit more research on reiserfs and I found
out that there is a Reiser 4 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reiser4)
that's been in the making for several years and is not part of regular
distributions yet but that would address the small file issue and
apparently be even faster than resierfs 3 for large directories of
files. I quickly browsed some discussion threads on why it's not
included in Linux yet and that whole thing sounds like an ugly situation.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/