[ka-Map-users] Future of ka-map?

Toshihiro Hiraoka hiraoka at azukimap.jp
Thu Jan 31 22:01:31 EST 2008

Hi, all.

I also think why I'm still using ka-map.
My answers are:

* Why not "gm"?
- I don't want my output system to send the point interest request to "g".
-> see the request like
http://maps.google.com/maps?spn=7.826501,11.25&t=k&z=6... (officially
copyright string request but...)
* Why not OpenLayers?
- I need and want to draw own tiles.
- OpenLayers supports mapnik now but no support mapserver tile creation.
- mapnik is really nice but raster and projection support is not fine.
- So, I need to draw the tiles by mapserver(tile.php).
- There is a choice to use "gm". I’m not strong to temptation.
* Why ka-Map?
- Stable.
- Small.
- Easy to use with MapServer
- No javascript library like prototype.js
- There is no choice to use others tile.
- I know well.

So, I want to continue to use ka-Map.
But there are cases to choose others depends on my client request.
The cases like:

* When I should choose "gm"
- when my client doesn't have budget.
- when my client doesn't concern user privacy.
- the system needs a detail map.
* When I should choose OpenLayers
- "gm" layers + WMS.
- when my client likes new one.

I know ka-Map functions are not enough to continue to use.
So I want to provide my ka-Map--++ version contains almost same
functions as "gm", like:

* client side vector objects,
* 180 degree connection,
* projection control,
* include just one js from HTML.
* hybrid map function,
* installer
* new tile.php
* and many small things.

I hope we will release it to public on this spring.

Thanks,
Toshi

Roman Meier ????????: