[ka-Map-users] Improving ka-map speed with non-cached WMS?

Bistrais, Bob Bob.Bistrais at maine.gov
Mon Dec 14 16:46:03 EST 2009

We have our imagery data for the WMS services in three different
formats- JP2, SID, and GTIFF.  I've been doing most of my testing with
the jp2, since that's statewide orthoimagery.
The application is presenting the WMS service in PNG24.

A gdalinfo for one of the images gives the following:

Driver: JP2ECW/ERMapper JPEG2000
Files: C:\naip_07\tiles\augusta_nw.jp2
Size is 5655, 7594
Coordinate System is:
LOCAL_CS["unnamed",
    UNIT["unknown",1]]
Origin = (429916.000000000000000,4914197.000000000000000)
Pixel Size = (1.000000000000000,-1.000000000000000)
Corner Coordinates:
Upper Left  (  429916.000, 4914197.000)
Lower Left  (  429916.000, 4906603.000)
Upper Right (  435571.000, 4914197.000)
Lower Right (  435571.000, 4906603.000)
Center      (  432743.500, 4910400.000)
Band 1 Block=5655x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Red
  Overviews: arbitrary
Band 2 Block=5655x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Green
  Overviews: arbitrary
Band 3 Block=5655x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Blue
  Overviews: arbitrary

As for the mapfile layer- do you mean the mapfile which consumes the WMS
(part of the ka-map app), or the file which creates the WMS service?  If
you mean the file which consumes the WMS, this is it:

LAYER
#NAIP Orthoimagery
  GROUP "NAIP2007_Imagery"
  NAME "naip2007"
  TYPE raster
  STATUS ON
  CONNECTIONTYPE WMS
  CONNECTION "http://myserver/wms/mapserv.exe?map=c:/wms/orthos.map&"

  METADATA
    "wms_server_version" "1.1.1"
    "wms_format" "image/png"
    "wms_title" "NAIP"
    "wms_abstract" "NAIP 2007 imagery"
    "wms_srs" "EPSG:26919"
    "wms_onlineresource" "MaineOrthos-NAIP"
    "wms_name" "naip2007,naip10moverview,naip100moverview"
    "queryable" "false"
    "tile_source" "nocache"
    "imageformat" "PNG24"
  END