MapTools.org

[maplab-users] Mapfile saved to root directory - blank map - no reference map

Paul Spencer spencer@dmsolutions.ca
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 08:17:29 -0500
Hi,

We are just getting up and running on Maplab.  I have installed maplab at
home and was up and running in less than 15 minutes but our install on our
development server has not gone too smoothly.  I suspect that we have some
problems with permissions.

that might be, I can't see anything obvious in the config file you sent.

We are running on WIN 2000 Server, php 4.2.2 and IIS 5.0.  The install
directory is on D:/ drive and we have mapped a virtual directory in the
default web on C:/ drive.  We are running mapserver on this machine
successfully, so we are a bit confused as to what is going on.  For some
reason we are unable to save the mapfiles to the projects directory, we can
browse there but maplab will just save it to the root directory of the
install.
this is very odd, your config file looks okay.  But I have never tried
to save files on a different drive in windows, so we'll test that out,
perhaps a bug?

Paths to layers and so forth show up as ./data/..... instead of
d:/data/..... Is this ok? Does anyone else have a similar set up that can
comment?  When we generate a reference map in map browser, it still tells us
that there is no reference map specified.  Additionally, we are getting
blank maps and there does not seem to be any images generated in the tmp
directory.  Please find attached our maplab.xml file if needed.

the mapfile looks for the data in a path relative to the shapepath which
  is relative to the mapfile location, unless you explicitly put in
absolute paths.  Blank maps might be caused by the mapfile being setup
with incorrect paths, but I think you should at least get temporary
images in the temporary image directory ... um I just noticed that you
have your tmp_web_img_path set to /tmp/, please make sure that you use
the same URL in your mapfile's web object, we typically use an image
path of c:/tmp/ms_tmp/ and a image url of /ms_tmp/ so if you are trying
to open the tutorial map file, or another DM Solutions Group mapfile,
this would be wrong.

We'll check the potential problem of working with different drives.

--
Paul Spencer

Paul Spencer