MapTools.org

[maplab-users] Next MapLab relase suggestion

Dave McIlhagga mcilhagga@dmsolutions.ca
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 09:11:18 -0500
Thank you very much for the message.  As Paul mentioned in his message,
this is something that we internally have been discussing a lot over the
past few months and you will likely see some big changes coming to
MapLab in the coming months.

This is the first time we have been releasing a real end-user product,
so inevitably -- we've been learning a lot through this experience.  I
want to thank every one of you for your patience with us as we work to
improve MapLab and everything that comes with it.

Largely as a result of our experience developing MapLab - here are a few
things that will be happening at DM Solutions' in the coming months that
I believe will have a big impact on MapLab:

1. We've committed ourselves to instituting a strong automated quality
control process for future development so that we can catch more of the
common bugs and problems before we release the software to the community.

2. We're also going to be making a stronger commitment to the
development and maintenance of software documentation such as user
guides, FAQs, tutorials, and better installation guides.

3. Since one of our goals is to provide software that will make life
EASIER for managing web mapping applications -- the installation issues
mentioned in your message are of the highest priority for us to address.

Once again, I thank all of you for your patience with us as we work to
improve what we can make available to the community.  We have some
really exciting new technology that has been developed in the past few
months that we are very keen to integrate with MapLab this
spring/summer.  This will be pending funding that we are hoping to
secure.  Given this takes place -- we'll be soliciting the community for
your thoughts and ideas on how we can make MapLab a better product
before the next major round of development.

Thanks for the feedback - keep it coming!
Dave
--
Dave McIlhagga
President, DM Solutions Group