MapTools.org

[maplab-users] RE: Maplab-users digest, Vol 1 #177 - 5 msgs

Daniel Morissette danmo@videotron.ca
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 11:42:43 -0500
Oldes Cokdu wrote:

> Thanks to you I fixed the URL misshap. I would like to make comment here;
> We are already setting tmp files in the maplab environment setting; Can't
> maplap feed tmp setting in the maplab.xml file into the imagetemp fields in
> the map file.  I think this would improve the portability.

Perhaps MapEdit could produce a warning when it notices that the
imagepath/imageurl values in the mapfile differ from the values in
maplab.xml, that would be a good idea actually.

However maplab should definitely not automagically override the values
in the mapfile... magic like this would only lead to more frustrations.
Even if maplab did automagically update the mapfile to make things work
inside maplab, then the same problem with imagepath/imageurl would
happen when you publish the mapfile in a live application.  So we would
get the same questions and complaints from the users, just one step
further.

> Daniel, I switched to mapscript_36.dll but then I started to get thread
> problem.  I am not building the libs so I switched back to _37 because it
> seems handling the thread.   I hope there is not a problem with _37 from
> maplab point of view such as incompatibility!..

Unfortunately there are going to be some problems with php_mapscript_37,
mostly with MapBrowser and GMapFactory.  So you should really stick to
version 3.6

What are those thread problems BTW?

> 3-
> Maplab is a "presentation wizzard" for mapserver spatial data (). How can I
> create a mapserver maps? is there an opensource "editor" kind of tool that I
> can use to capture and create spatial data (similar to GEOMEdIa Professional
> but opensource)?

Normally people who use MapServer/MapLab already own some spatial data
and a GIS software to work with it.  A few names that come to mind would
be OpenEv (http://openev.sourceforge.net/) and Thuban, I know they are
good as viewers but I can't comment on their vector editing capabilties,
I'm sure there are a few others.  Try a search on http://freegis.org/

Daniel
 Daniel Morissette               morissette@dmsolutions.ca