MapTools.org

[maplab-users] mapedit tutorial - cannot see map ...

ian macnaughtan ian.macnaughtan@braziermotti.com.au
Fri, 2 May 2003 09:50:34 +1000
--=_alternative 0082F8F04A256D19_=

Thanks for your reply. Here is the contents of the error page that i get

------ start of error page -------

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might
be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your
browser settings.

Please try the following:

Click the  Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is
spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click
Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings
should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator
or Internet service provider (ISP).
If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can
examine your network and automatically discover network connection
settings.
If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
click  Detect Network Settings
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and
then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you
have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings
can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On
the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for
SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the  Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

---- end of error page ----

I notice that in the url that pop ups briefly in the status bar of ie
there is a parameter which says 'map&name=/tutorial///tutorial'. The '///'
strikes me as strange. I have the following folder structure ...

The root path of my web pages is /var/www/html
The maplab files are in this path '/var/www/html/maplab'. I have not
modified any folders except the maplab folder itself. When i unpacked the
files it had a folder of 'maplab-2.0rc5'. I moved this folder to
'/var/www/html/maplab'. I have not made any changes to the files within
this folder except to change the group name on the file to 'apache'. It
was root since i unpacked the files as root.

I start by opening 'http://server-ip-address/maplab/htdocs'. This opens
the main maplab page. I then click on the mapedit link. Then click on open
a map link. This presents a list of folders and files. I then click on the
tutorial folder. Then i click on the tutorial.map file and click the ok
button. That is when i see the parameter mentioned above and get the error
message.

The mapserver cgi is in /var/www/cgi-bin. The php cgi is in the same
location.

Regards
Ian.

maplab-users-admin@dmsolutions.ca wrote on 01/05/2003 10:12:33 PM:

> Ian,
>
> What's the error message you get ?
>
> Sacha
>
> ian macnaughtan wrote:
> >
> > Hi. I have just finished setting up mapserver and maplab on a rh7.2
> > server. I started following the tutorial for maplab but when i opened
> > the map file in mapedit, nothing displays. Interestingly, an error
page
> > appears in the top right frame where the dm solutions logo normally
> > goes. Any ideas?
> >
> > I have compiled everything except apache from source. That took me
some
> > time! I have used the rh up2date agent to ensure that rh has the
latest
> > kernel etc. The mapserver demo works okay. Php as a cgi appears to be
> > working okay. In maplab i am able to edit the configuration without a
> > problem. The only thing is that gif support is not enabled.
> >
> > Regards
> > Ian Macnaughtan.
>
> --
> Sacha Fournier
> Applications Developer
> DM Solutions Group
> sfournier@dmsolutions.ca
> tel: 418.696.5056
> fax: 418.696.5056
>
> www.dmsolutions.ca
> --

--=_alternative 0082F8F04A256D19_=

of the error page that i get ...</font>
unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties,
or you may need to adjust your browser settings. </font>
again later.</font>
Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.</font>
the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab,
click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local
area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). </font>
it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover
network connection settings.</font>
discover them, </font>
security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to
determine what strength security you have installed. </font>
site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools
menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the
Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT
1.0. </font>
link. </font>
briefly in the status bar of ie there is a parameter which says 'map&amp;name=/tutorial///tutorial'.
The '///' strikes me as strange. I have the following folder structure
...</font>
I have not modified any folders except the maplab folder itself. When i
unpacked the files it had a folder of 'maplab-2.0rc5'. I moved this folder
to '/var/www/html/maplab'. I have not made any changes to the files within
this folder except to change the group name on the file to 'apache'. It
was root since i unpacked the files as root.</font>
This opens the main maplab page. I then click on the mapedit link. Then
click on open a map link. This presents a list of folders and files. I
then click on the tutorial folder. Then i click on the tutorial.map file
and click the ok button. That is when i see the parameter mentioned above
and get the error message.</font>
The php cgi is in the same location. </font>
10:12:33 PM:<br>
&gt; Ian,<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; What's the error message you get ?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Sacha<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; ian macnaughtan wrote:<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; Hi. I have just finished setting up mapserver and maplab on a
rh7.2 <br>
&gt; &gt; server. I started following the tutorial for maplab but when
i opened <br>
&gt; &gt; the map file in mapedit, nothing displays. Interestingly, an
error page <br>
&gt; &gt; appears in the top right frame where the dm solutions logo normally
&gt; &gt; goes. Any ideas?<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; I have compiled everything except apache from source. That took
me some <br>
&gt; &gt; time! I have used the rh up2date agent to ensure that rh has
the latest <br>
&gt; &gt; kernel etc. The mapserver demo works okay. Php as a cgi appears
to be <br>
&gt; &gt; working okay. In maplab i am able to edit the configuration without
a <br>
&gt; &gt; problem. The only thing is that gif support is not enabled.<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; Regards<br>
&gt; &gt; Ian Macnaughtan.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; -- <br>
&gt; Sacha Fournier<br>
&gt; Applications Developer<br>
&gt; DM Solutions Group<br>
&gt; sfournier@dmsolutions.ca<br>
&gt; tel: 418.696.5056<br>
&gt; fax: 418.696.5056<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; www.dmsolutions.ca<br>
&gt; -- <br>
&gt; /&quot;\ &nbsp;ASCII Ribbon Campaign against HTML<br>
&gt; \ / &nbsp;email and proprietary format<br>
&gt; &nbsp; X &nbsp; attachments.<br>
&gt; / \<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Maplab-users mailing list<br>