MapTools.org

[maplab-users] Limited length to layer connection string?

Daniel Morissette morissette@dmsolutions.ca
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:18:44 -0500
Mike Leahy wrote:
> Paul,
>
> I'm pretty sure it's not to do with forms.  The thing is, the data string is
> stored in the PHP session variable not a form, and it is added to the Map
> object when my map viewer (a modification of a GMapFactory project) is
> loaded.  I've had the problem with forms having too much data to work with
> the GET method - all that happened for me in that case is that the form
> wouldn't submit.  The error in this case happens with the PHP processor
> itself when it uses the MapScript map object with a query string beyond a
> particular length...I can't say exactly when it dies, but I'll make a guess
> that it's either when I set the data string for the layer object, or when
> the map is actually drawn.

There is always a possibility that there would be a buffer overflow in
the postgis driver.  Can you try saving the mapfile just before drawing
the map, at the point where it contains the full POSTGIS data string,
then check that the mapfile contains exactly the same data string that
you expect.

If the mapfile looks OK then try a little 5-liner script that just loads
that mapfile and draws it.  If the little script fails as well then the
problem is almost for sure in the postgis driver and we'll need a way to
reproduce this to be able to go further.  BTW which version of
MapServer/MapScript are you using?

  Daniel Morissette               morissette@dmsolutions.ca