[maplab-users] query and overlay, is possible this?

Zak James zak-ms at hoppsan.org
Mon Aug 23 10:22:48 EDT 2004

Alberto,

Doing that directly would require mapserver to be capable of geometric
analysis and it does not include this functionality. The closest you
could get would be to use a desktop GIS package to make a new layer
from the intersections and include areas as attributes. Then you could
use that layer with mapserver and get the query function (in your
gmapfactory application, for instance)  to return overlay percentages
with a little extra code.

PostGIS could be used with mapserver to do this in a more automated
way, but that discussion is beyond the scope of this list.

zak
--
Zak James