[maplab-users] Re: projection type

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Dec 17 15:32:31 EST 2004

Nasir,

I'll attempt to get you going.

The easiest way to view your new shapefile data is to remove all of the
other layers in the mapfile...leave only your new layer.

Next you need to specify the correct extents for the layer.  Modify the
EXTENT parameter in the mapfile
(http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc44/mapfile-reference.html#map) to your
data's extents.  You should be able to get the extents of your data view
in ArcView.

MAP
   NAME "DEMO"
   STATUS ON
   EXTENT -2200000 -712631 3072800 3840000  <----- modify this line

Next modify the UNITS parameter of your mapfile to machine your data's
units (http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc44/mapfile-reference.html#map).
Arcview will display the cursor coordinates which may help you determine
what units it is.

MAP
   NAME "DEMO"
   STATUS ON
   EXTENT -2200000 -712631 3072800 3840000
   SIZE 400 300
   SHAPEPATH "./data"
   SYMBOLSET "./etc/symbols.sym"
   FONTSET "./etc/fonts.txt"
   IMAGETYPE PNG
   IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
   UNITS METERS       <------  change this

Now you should be able to view your data in MapEdit.  The way i just
explained avoids any issues regarding projections.  It's the simplest
way to see your data in MapServer.

If you want to use your data with data in another projection..well
that's more difficult.  Let me know if you want to get into that.

jeff