[maplab-users] Re: [Maplab-dev] working with map lab

Zak James zak-ms at hoppsan.org
Tue Nov 2 12:43:26 EST 2004

Dara,

Chameleon is a toolkit for building web mapping applications. In a
rough sense, it does what gmapfactory does except that you have to
build the application in a text editor (it's mostly like writing an
html document). What you get is a lot more capability and a more
polished application. Chameleon applications are built from 'widgets'
which can do many of the things that people on this list write custom
code to provide in their gmapfactory applications.

The Mapedit component of Maplab uses php mapscript to manipulate
mapfiles and it really doesn't deal with shapefiles directly either.
Rather, it hides the creation of mapfile layers to some extent.
Chameleon also uses mapscript and can manipulate elements from
mapfiles. You're right that there is no mapedit-like application at
this time but we hope to be able to provide one (based on Chameleon) in
the future. We are unlikely to extend Maplab 2.x any further because
Chameleon offers a cleaner way to achieve the same thing. A
Chameleon-based replacement for Mapedit would certainly have the
ability to add shapefile layers.

To answer your question about shapefile editing, there are widgets
which do this for specific functions (like creating ROI polygons) using
the capabilities of mapscript. Depending on what you are trying to
achieve, you may have to write a custom widget. Whether you use
Chameleon or extend maplab, you are going to be writing PHP mapscript
code to customize something like that.

We realize that there is a need for a mapfile editing capability and
Mapedit still fulfills this role. However, an application based on
Chameleon would be much easier for users to customize and extend and it
is the most likely direction for future Maplab development.

zak

--
Zak James