[maplab-users] Maplab/Mapedit produces Zero Byte Images

T Steinmetz tilmann.steinmetz at geo.uni-halle.de
Wed Nov 17 09:53:51 EST 2004

Dear list,

I wonder if anyone has encountered a similar problem- any help greatly
appreciated- as I've not found anything similar in the archives:

I have installed Maplab on FreeBSD5.2.1 recently from an updated Ports-Tree
(i.e. PHP4-cgi+Mapscript, Mapserver 4, Apache 1.3.33 or 2, tried them both)-
now I encounter some problems which I can't seem to be able to solve:

When I open the demo.map file in MapEdit and try to preview it I do get the
frame, the legend and the operation buttons (zoom etc.) and the key map but
not the main map! In it's place only an empty frame and a link called
"Anfrage senden" - "send query" show up or the empty Rosa applet frame if I
enable that.

I traced this back to image files in my temporary file folder which are zero
bytes of size--- the mystery with this being that I am able to open the
"Itasca Demo" from the Mapserver Installation in the way I expect it to
work!? (not in Mapedit though!- there it's also an empty frame only)

This is independent of whether I use PNG, JPEG or TIFF and, as mentioned
above, of wheter I use ROSA or not. The info page of the maplab installation
shows me the green ticks in all required places.

So here's my resume:
Mapserver seems to be working OK
(Temporary file directories, permissions, webserver etc. OK).
Requirements for Maplab seem to be alright.

Hoping for someone to be able to shed some light on this...
thanks in advance,

Tilmann
--
Dipl. Geol. MSc Tilmann Steinmetz