[maplab-users] Confusion over map redraw during query[Scanned]

joanne cook j.cook at oxfordarch.co.uk
Fri Apr 22 08:19:20 EDT 2005

Hi Zak,

I couldn't see any error messages that appeared relevant. I tried what you suggested, removed all the layers, trying the map with one layer at a time and the problem still occured.

I am a bit confused about the extents- when I run the shape files and rasters in Arcview I get the extent 0, 0, 70000, 130000 which is correct for the British National Grid. That's what the extent is set to in my map. But the extent shown in the MapBrowser box is the extent for the frame, which appears to put the rectangular map in the centre of the square and pad it to either side. If I set the map frame to be the same proportions in pixels as the map size is in metres, ie 700 wide by 13000 tall (or sensible fractions of these) then it still puts the map right in the centre, it doesn't make it fill the frame, which is what I thought it would do.

When I query the map and it redraws very small, the extents and scale shown below the frame don't change from what they should be if the map was drawn correctly.

Thanks again for your help

Jo

Joanne Cook
Oxford Archaeology North