[maplab-users] How to add dynamic data

Zak James zak4ms at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 08:49:29 EDT 2005

You could write a program or script (in C, PHP, python, perl, etc.)
that uses shapelib (http://shapelib.maptools.org) to create a

An easier alternative is to make an OGR
(http://gdal.maptools.org/ogr/) layer in maplab and create a virtual
driver file to interface with your text file. You can read about how
to do that here:

You could also use the ogr2ogr command line utility (part of ogr) to
create a shapefile once you have a valid vrt file.

There's a useful reference here:
though it focuses on odbc database connections rather than text files.
It gives a sample mapfile layer which will demonstrate how to set up
your own.