[Mapserver-users] Tileindex and raster image

Vincent Schut schut@sarvision.com
Thu, 1 May 2003 17:23:38 +0200

fx,

I don't know of a direct solution for your question, but there might be some
more complex ways to achieve it...

Are you on linux?
If you know the size of your images, you can write a shell script to use
'gdal_translate -srcwin xoff yoff xsize ysize in.tif out.tif', looping
automatically over your raster image using the appropriate window.
Even if you don't know the imagesize, you could get that by parsing the
gdalinfo output in your script, but that might be a bit more trickier.
Another option:
If your raster can be saved as a normal tif (or otherwise non-geographic image
format), you could use the convert program (coming with imagemagick), it has
some automatic tile command, check the docs, I don't know it by heart. You
can then after that add geo information with gdal or just by adding world
files (which you could generate with a script again :-)).
Third option:
make a map file with your raster in a layer and write a simple php/mapscript
program that loops over the extent of your raster, changes the extent to the
tile you want to have, have mapserver draw your image (if you have a recent
version of mapserver and gdal, mapserver will even be able to generate
geotiff image files (or any image format gdal can write) for you if you set
the outputformat section accordingly!), and save it.

Hope these ideas help you,

Regards,
Vincent Schut.