[Mapserver-users] Oracle spatial

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam@pobox.com
Wed, 07 May 2003 15:15:37 -0400

Bart van den Eijnden wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Frank thanks for the quick answer.
>
> Which of the two options is the recommended one? Have there been any
> performance tests in the past? Is one implementation more elaborate than
> the other? Are there any future plans to not further develop one of the
> two options, or will they be both available in future releases?
>
> A lot of questions, I hope I get some answers.

Bart,

I have not done a performance comparison; however, there are reasons to believe
the OGR case would be noticably slower than the other version.  First because
of the extra layer of indirection and object marshalling going through OGR,
and second because I haven't done much to optimize the OGR code for reading
from Oracle Spatial (though oddly, writing to Oracle Spatial is highly
optimized).

I plan to maintain the OGR Oracle Spatial support into the forseeable future.
I don't know about the other version.  My understanding is that there are some
MapServer features support via OGR, but not via the standalone Oracle Spatial
support but I don't know what those are.

If you have the time, I would encourage you to do a performance and feature
comparison of the two options.  If you need fast, and you don't have time to
mess around give the built-in support a quick try and if that doesn't work
fallback to the OGR support.