[Mapserver-users] problems compiling PROJ.4 on Mac OS X 10.2.5

John Oram mapserver@oram.com
Tue, 6 May 2003 15:49:48 -0700

Hi-

I'm new to Mapserver and am trying to get it up and running on Mac OS X
10.2.5.  I've been following the instructions on Bill Wheaton's page

	http://home.nc.rr.com/wwheaton/

as well as the wiki stuff at

	http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MacOS

I'm by no means an accomplished compiler -- I'm more the
'stimulus/response' type, so I apologize if I'm asking ridiculous
questions.  That being said, I had no problems with the other
libraries, and was able to build PHP and get up and running with Apache
(albeit without Mapserver).

So, after I "make" and "sudo sh install" with the proj.4 4.4.7 I
downloaded from remotesensing.org, I get this:

	 install: Basic: command not found
	 install: ==================: command not found
	 install: These: command not found
	 install: command substitution: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking
for matching `''
	 install: command substitution: line 4: syntax error: unexpected end
of file
	 install: The: command not found
	 install: command substitution: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking
for matching `''
	 install: command substitution: line 3: syntax error: unexpected end
of file
	 install: definitions.: command not found
	 install: line 113: syntax error near unexpected token `(f'
	 install: line 113: `is something like `gnu-as' or `x' (for the X
Window System).  The'

Is it crapping out entirely, i.e. grabbing something other than the
install script, or is it just disliking a few lines?  I get the feeling
it's not working since when I try to build PHP I see:

       checking whether we should include PROJ.4 support...
           PROJ.4 support not requested.

I'm a bit confused why proj.4 is built using "sh install" while
everything else uses "make install".  Also, how case sensitive are the
references?  I notice references to PROJ.4, Proj.4 and proj.4.

Anyway, if anyone could shine some light on this I'd greatly appreciate
it.  Mapserver and its utilities look pretty intriguing and I'm looking
forward to getting my hands dirty.

Thanks,
   John