[Mapserver-users] Problems running Perl Mapscript under mod_perl

Mark Cave-Ayland m.cave-ayland@webbased.co.uk
Thu, 15 May 2003 10:06:52 +0100

Hi everyone,

After reading the various posts last month, I thought it was time to try
installing mapscript with mod_perl to see how fast it would go. I've
managed to install Jason's patches to add the new writeImage method (see
http://lists.gis.umn.edu/pipermail/mapserver-users/2003-March/002246.htm
l) and followed the given example to obtain the filehandle for
writeImage, but I'm still experiencing what seems to be some form of
buffering problem.

I seem to be getting various symptoms ranging from outputting partial
PNGs (with or without content-type headers!) to outputting nothing apart
from a simple response (no content type) with no body. Mostly I seem to
be getting the latter. Having read various other parts of the thread,
I've tried enabling autoflush and flushing the file descriptor after the
writeImage but any combinations of these don't seem to have any effect.

Can anyone suggest why these buffering problems are happening for me
under mod_perl, whereas running as a perl CGI the correct PNG is output
every time? I'm guessing that since other people on the list have
managed it then I must have misconfigured something somewhere.... The
system setup is as follows:

Red Hat 7.3 base
Apache 1.3.23
Mod_perl 1.26
Mapserver 3.6.5

Many thanks,

Mark.

---

Mark Cave-Ayland
Webbased Ltd.
Tamar Science Park
Derriford
Plymouth
PL6 8BX
England

Tel: +44 (0)1752 764445
Fax: +44 (0)1752 764446

recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender. You
should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or distribute
its contents to any other person.