[Mapserver-users] port?

Thorsten Fischer thfischer@mapmedia.de
29 May 2003 01:43:59 +0200

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 11:36, Kaps Stefan wrote:
> hello!
> I have a problem with accessing the UMN mapserver via the intranet. I manage
> to access the webserver, but when we start the mapserver no data are shown.
> Does anyone know what the problem could be? Is the problem somehow connected
> to the ports that are used or something like this?
> perhaps, somebody can help solving this problem!

MapServer is just a CGI program that resides in a directory of a
webserver. However, for MapServer to work, the file must be set to be
executable, and in addition the webserver must recognize that directory
to contain programs that may be executed.

A port is just a networking resource that is managed by the operating
system and that is used (in case of the server system) to identify the
process that incoming data packets are relayed to. All traffic for your
webserver carries a note 'port 80' (most likely) so the system will know
that those packets are intended to go to the webserver. As MapServer is
running as a program in your webserver, the port won't change and has
nothing to do with your problems.

hth,

thorsten