[Mobile GIS] GIS on mobile devices

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Fri Dec 1 17:12:40 EST 2006

Lyn,

  It's not really my project (I was just trying to generate some interest on the mailing list).  The MobileGIS interest group (http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Mobile_Solutions) started a few months before FOSS2006, where 20 or so people met for a "birds-of-a-feather" session (http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/FOSS4G2006_Mobile_GIS_BOF_Minutes).

  Currently, I know of two cross-platform open-source MobileGIS efforts:

1.  JVN GIS:  http://jvngis.googlepages.com/home2 - Java based, no data collection features?
2.  Mateusz Loskot's effort (http://sourceforge.net/projects/wcelibcex/ to port Linux/Windows C/C++ libraries (Proj4, GDAL,...) to Windows CE / Windows Mobile

Although, there are more listed on the Mobile Solutions site, most (if not all) are Navigation apps, not data collection apps (like ESRI's ArcPad).  Of course I expect the demand for a data viewer to be greater than a data capture tool.

My thought is to use Mateusz's WinCE ported libraries and wrap a wxEmbedded GUI around them (dunno where the GIS functionality will come from, GEOS? other?...).  The result should be a platform independant (well, Windows and Linux anyways) GIS Data capture/ Navigation application, scalable from an iPaq (what! no cellphone or iPod app? ) to a tablet or desktop computer.

Brent Fraser