[ms4w-users] WMS format question

Smith, Michael Michael.Smith at maine.gov
Tue Dec 4 16:37:21 EST 2007

Greetings,

I am a newbie to MapServer and WMS, but an old ESRI hand.  I have
MapServer (MS4W) running with ka-Map on a Windows XP PC.  I have created
a simple MapServer .map file which works fine in ka-Map.  Since it is
based on raster data (MrSID file which is 24-bit NAIP 2007 orthophoto
mosaic), I set the output format to JPEG.  This works fine in ka-Map and
looks the way I want it.  However, when I add this WMS to ArcMap, it
appears to make 8-bit files.

I can see in my temp folders that indeed, the ka-Map output is JPEG like
I want, but the ArcMap output is PNG.  The JPEGs are nice 24-bit images
and the PNGs 8-bit garbage.

Any suggestions?  My .map file is below.  Looking at web resources, it
seems like I need a "wms_format" "img/jpeg" somewhere, but after many
permutations of those parameters in my map file, I still can't seem to
get jpegs in ArcGIS, only PNGs.

***********
Michael Smith
Maine DEP/OIT

#
# Start of GMAP map file
#
#
NAME GMAP_DEMO
STATUS ON
SIZE 400 300
SYMBOLSET ../etc/symbols.sym
EXTENT 413000 4837000 446000 4894000
UNITS METERS
SHAPEPATH "../medata"
IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
FONTSET ../etc/fonts.txt

OUTPUTFORMAT
  NAME jpeg
  DRIVER "GD/JPEG"
  IMAGEMODE RGB
  EXTENSION "jpeg"
  FORMATOPTION "QUALITY=75,PROGRESSIVE=TRUE"
END

#
# Start of web interface definition
#
WEB
#  Scales commented out for WMS
#  MINSCALE 5000
#  MAXSCALE 350000
#
# On Windows systems, /tmp and /tmp/ms_tmp/ should be created at the
root
# of the drive where the .MAP file resides.
#
  IMAGEPATH "/ms4w/tmp/ms_tmp/"
  IMAGEURL "/ms_tmp/"
# For WMS