[ms4w-users] Oracle XE on Windows

Zachary Stauber zstauber at bhinc.com
Wed Feb 14 12:16:15 EST 2007

Has anyone used MS4W 2.2.2 with Oracle XE Spatial where the spatial server is NOT the same as the MapServer?

My MapServer is named “NS1” and my Oracle machine is called “a-abq-oracle”  I have an XE client installed on the MapServer machine, but the data is elsewhere.  I set my:

ORACLE_HOME=C:¥XEClient

Which is the default…

ORACLE_SID=//a-abq-oracle/XE

Which is syntax that works from other programs for the SID, e.g. Feature Manipulation Engine, however, in my mapfile I can’t seem to hit on the right syntax.

I’ve got:

LAYER

            CONNECTIONTYPE oraclespatial

            CONNECTION "tx17/tx17@//a-abq-oracle/XE"

            DATA "geom from county"

            STATUS ON

            TYPE POLYGON

            CLASS

                        NAME 'Counties'

                        COLOR 100 200 255

                        OUTLINECOLOR -1 -1 -1

            END #class

END

But when I query the page, it ends up with the error:

Warning: [MapServer Error]: msDrawMap(): Failed to draw layer named '(null)'. in C:¥Inetpub¥wwwroot¥TX17¥index.phtml on line 138

Warning: [MapServer Error]: msOracleSpatialLayerOpen(): Cannot create OCI Handlers. Connection failure. Check the connection string. Error: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified . in C:¥Inetpub¥wwwroot¥TX17¥index.phtml on line 138

Fatal error: Call to a member function saveWebImage() on a non-object in C:¥Inetpub¥wwwroot¥TX17¥index.phtml on line 139
PHP Warning: [MapServer Error]: msDrawMap(): Failed to draw layer named '(null)'. in C:¥Inetpub¥wwwroot¥TX17¥index.phtml on line 138 PHP Warning: [MapServer Error]: msOracleSpatialLayerOpen(): Cannot create OCI Handlers. Connection failure. Check the connection string. Error: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified . in C:¥Inetpub¥wwwroot¥TX17¥index.phtml on line 138 PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function saveWebImage() on a non-object in C:¥Inetpub¥wwwroot¥TX17¥index.phtml on line 139

I believe I’ve got the DLL’s installed correctly since I didn’t get an error just by moving the ignored-libs DLL’s around this time with the newest MS4W.  Anyway, has anyone gotten this type of setup to work with a CONNECTION syntax?

Zachary L. Stauber

Certified Mapping Scientist

Bohannan▲Huston

Courtyard One, 7500 Jefferson N.E.