[ms4w-users] How to Repair Invalid Geometries???

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at dmsolutions.ca
Fri May 18 08:55:11 EDT 2007

My guesses:

open source way: use GRASS.  when importing shapefiles with the v.in.ogr
command topology is automatically checked and you can clean as well

"other" way: try converting to a coverage and then use the "clean" and
"build" utilities in Arc, and then convert back to shp.  just a guess

Note: I see that you also sent this to the PostGIS email list.
Cross-posting is bad-mojo.  You should have probably sent this question
just to the PostGIS list (since it has nothing to do with MS4W).

Orlando Giovanny Solarte Delgado wrote:
> Hi list.
> I am developing geodatabase with PostGIS 1.2. I am tryin load shapefile
> using shp2psql method from postgis. However, when I load shapefile
> using sql. It say: "NOTICE:  Ring Self-intersection", "violates check
> constraint "geometry_valid_check".
> Before to load shapefile, I test using chek_geomatry tool from ArcTools
> from ArcGIS 9.2, it say: "Valid geometries", but postgis say  "violates
> check constraint "geometry_valid_check".
> So. How I can repair may shapefile before load postgis??. There is some
> tool different Check and repair Geometrias from ArcGIS?
> Thanks.

Jeff McKenna
DM Solutions Group Inc.