[ms4w-users] Oracle+WMS: GetCapabilities issue

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Apr 22 17:24:26 EDT 2008

Jeff McKenna wrote:
> I was hoping that someone else would have the answer for you...I have no
> idea why only your GetCapabilities request is slow through Oracle.
>
> -jeff
>

> On 21-Apr-08, at 12:01 PM, Diego Guidi wrote:
>
>> I'm using the last ms4w package and I'm experiencing an issue with
>> GetCapabilities request... in one word: is terribly slow :(
>> I've created a map file from a bunch of layers in SDE and all works
>> well, then I've moved the same data to Oracle Spatial, changed
>> configuration of the map file and now the problem appears.
>> I want to specify this: only getcapabilities is terribly slow (10
>> minutes for 10 layers), getmap requests and getfeatureinfo requests
>> are fast, actually much faster that with SDE...
>> anyone has experienced this issue?

Diego,

I would suggest asking on mapserver-users, and make sure you provide
some details about your .map file setup.  I suspect you are suffering
from the high connection cost of Oracle connections, and that you need
connection pooling or perhaps even fastcgi mode but it is hard to answer
reasonably without more information.

And, unless you have reason to believe this is an MS4W specific problem,
you will likely get better answers on the mapserver-users list.