[MS4W-Users] SDE

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Wed Jan 20 12:34:35 EST 2010

Yves,

I spent a couple of days trying to get MS4W/Mapserver to read vector and raster
data from SDE 9.3

The good news is that it can be done.  The bad news is that it's not easy.
Displaying vectors wasn't too bad, but getting the rasters to display took some
detective work.

The steps:
----------
1. Use MS4W 3.0 Beta 7 (or better when available).  The gdal_SDE.dll and
ogr_SDE.dll are compiled with a gdal17DEV.dll shipped in MS4W (in MS4W v2.3.1
they are compiled with gdal15.dll and won't work with MS4W 2.3.1).  I copied the
gdalplugins dir (with gdal_SDE.dll and ogr_SDE.dll) to be under cgi-bin.

2. Since the MS4W 3.0 Beta 7 is a zip style install, you'll need to set paths to
ensure Apache and mapserver can find msvcr90.dll and msvcp90.dll (they're in the
apache\cgi-bin dir I think).

3.  The vector connection for SDE 9.3 looked like the one in the MS4W doc:
------------------------------
LAYER
   CONNECTIONTYPE PLUGIN
   CONNECTION "server,port:5151,sde,username,password"
   PLUGIN "C:/ms4w/Apache/specialplugins/msplugin_sde_92.dll"
   DATA "GIS.SDE.mylayer,SHAPE,SDE.DEFAULT"
END # layer
------------------------------

I never did the CONNECTIONTYPE SDE to compare performance, but I'd be interested
in what you find out!

4. The raster connection looked like the one in
http://www.mail-archive.com/mapserver-users@lists.osgeo.org/msg03049.html
------------------------------
LAYER
   NAME         hillshade
   STATUS       DEFAULT
   TYPE         RASTER
   CONNECTION "server,port:5151,sde,username,password"
   CONNECTIONTYPE PLUGIN
   PLUGIN "c:/ms4w/apache/specialplugins/msplugin_sde_92.dll"
   DATA "SDE:server,5151,sde,username,password,SCHEMA.RASTERLAYER,RASTER"
   PROJECTION
     "+proj=lcc +lat_1=49 +lat_0=49 +lon_0=-95 +k_0=1 +x_0=0 +y_0=0 +ellps=GRS80
+datum=NAD83 +units=m +no_defs"
   END
END

That email message is the only doc I could find showing how to make connection
work.  And don't you dare put any spaces between the commas in the DATA statement.

I also had a problem with apache and a local firewall.  The SDE raster would
display with shp2img and running mapserv.exe interactively on the command line,
but not as a CGI program thru apache.  So I installed IIS and things worked.  I
expect a little tweaking of the apache conf file would have worked as well but I
ran out of time...

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser