[MS4W-Users] Problems with php-mapscript and postgis-layers from different databases

Ludwig Kniprath ludwig at kni-online.de
Wed Jul 28 08:30:19 EST 2010

Hi all,
following problem:

I'm using PHP-Mapscript for displaying some postgis-layers. I store
geo-data and application-data in different schemas of the same database
and had no problems so far.

For storing OpenStreetMap-Data I tried to use another database ('osm')
and configured my mapfile-layer with "CONNECTION ... dbname=osm...", but
the data didn't render so far.

Setting "DEBUG 5" at layer-level showed the reson for this behaviour:

Although the layer was defined with

<SNIP>
CONNECTION "user=postgres password=postgres dbname=gis host=localhost
port=5432"
</SNIP>

the log-file says:

<SNIP>
[Wed Jul 28 15:16:08 2010].429000 msPostGISLayerOpen: No connection in
pool, creating a fresh one.
[Wed Jul 28 15:16:08 2010].507000
msConnPoolRegister(planet_osm_line,user='kniprath'
password='my_dummy_pw' dbname='wver_ims' host='127.0.0.1'
port='5432',04E14D88)
</SNIP>

Why does PHP-Mapscript ignore the layer-connection-settings in the
mapfile and reuses the credentials of the established connection from
the calling php-script?

Regards
Ludwig