[MS4W-Users] What version i need to install of MapServer to run in Windows XP?

Francisco José Reyes Peralta tradecarto at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 10:02:43 EST 2010

Dear friends,

What is the difference between these MapServer versions?

- OsGeo4W or the LiveDVD. Some features as Apache HTTP Server and MapServer
aren't updated.

- The general installer:
http://dl.maptools.org/dl/mapserver-4.8.1-win32-php5.1.2.zip. In this case
it isn't a non updated version. How can I do to update it? Is needed to
uninstall the last version or I just need to replace the binaries files with
the actual binary version?

- MS4W the last September version doesn't include the last Apache HTTP
Server and MapServer 5.6.3 last versions. How can I do to update it?
http://dl.maptools.org/dl/mapserver-4.8.1-win32-php5.1.2.zip

-Also, the last version of MapServer, downloadable in the MapServer Official
Site, but it is 2,2 MB only. How can I use it? Update the another versions?
http://download.osgeo.org/mapserver/mapserver-5.6.5.tar.gz

What I need to install, and to use the another tools (MapScripts, Chamaleon,
and another as FWTools)?

I need to serve one web map service in a webpage using html, postgis
database, and the layers used in my WMS. I install the APACHE HTTP SERVER
and configure to load from c:/www/ but another webs, articles, courses, ...
use the c:/ms4w/ directory, in order to install the MapServer application.
What are the recommendations and how can I do to install correctly my
Mapserver application?

Cheers.

Tradecarto.