[MS4W-Users] Still trying to understand about thread safety

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Apr 5 09:59:31 EST 2011

On 11-04-04 8:50 PM, Tom Price wrote:
> Bump...
>
> Is this question more appropriate for the Mapserver list serve?

Hello Tom,

Just to put this email in context for everyone: this question was
initially asked and answered on the MapServer-users mailing list (see
thread at:
http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/Thread-safety-with-Php-Mapscript-3-0-1-5-6-6-and-IIS-7-td6099800.html).

Thread safety is also included as an FAQ in the MapServer documentation
(http://www.mapserver.org/faq.html#is-mapserver-thread-safe).

Thread safety and PHP were also recently discussed on the
MapServer-users mailing list
(http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/thread-safety-and-php-and-fastcgi-td5491179.html#a5494534)

That said, yes it is confusing, especially if you are trying to match
binaries from MS4W with your own custom PHP (in which case you would
refer to my response in the above ms4w-users thread).  As I note in that
message, you can always contact me for a custom build if you are running
into problems with your client's environment (to avoid this TS/NTS issue).

Looking at MapServer's source code, in /mapscript/php3/nmake.opt
(https://svn.osgeo.org/mapserver/tags/rel-5-6-6/mapserver/mapscript/php3/nmake.opt),
it appears that when you compile php_mapscript.dll the code looks for a
PHP TS library (in this case php5ts.lib).  In fact that could be your
answer right there.

Those are my thoughts on your issue.

-jeff

http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/