[MS4W-Users] Google Maps

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Sep 6 08:09:23 EST 2011

On 9/6/2011 7:29 AM, gayani wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am in need to add the google maps for backgorund of my Web Map Server.  I
> followed the Geomoose demo examples.
>
> I am in srilanka and using WGS_Kadawala projection systesm (UTM 44).  For my
> need, How can I convert projection of "Google Mecater " (defined projection
> system for google maps projection) in to our projection systesm.   Or any
> other method to overlay the google maps to my Web Map server application

The simple answer is that you can not do this. The best you can do if
you want to use Google maps is to use something like OpenLayers or
Geomoose to display the Google maps as a base layer and base layers MUST
be in the projection of the base layer, ie: Spherical Mercator. Then use
mapserver to reproject your data into Spherical Mercator and overlay
that as another layer over the Google maps layer.

-Steve