[MS4W-Users] Google Maps

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Sep 7 08:11:27 EST 2011

On 9/6/2011 8:19 PM, gayani wrote:
> Steve ,
>
> Thanks for your reply,
> Please can you guild me to do the something like OpenLayers or
> Geomoose to display the Google maps as a base layer and other projection
> coordinate handling.  I do not no much about the coordinate systems.  And
> how about the accuracies after converting the our data into web mercater.

http://dev.openlayers.org/releases/OpenLayers-2.10/examples/

http://dev.openlayers.org/releases/OpenLayers-2.10/examples/google-reproject.html

You will also have to setup your mapserver mapfile. Set the projection
in the MAP section to be epsg:900913 and in your data LAYER set the
projection to be that of your source data. Mapserver will reproject on
the fly for you.

As far as accuracies, the data should overlay accurately, but I guess it
all depends on what you expect to do with it. But you do not have
another choice if you want to use Google maps as you base layer.

You will need to do some reading if you are not familiar with OpenLayers
or Mapserver to work out the details, but I'm sure people on the list
can help if you get stuck.

-Steve