[MS4W-Users] Getting blank tiles in google maps

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Thu Sep 8 13:54:17 EST 2011

If your intent is to use Google Maps as a backdrop, your target map
projection must be Spherical Mercator.  There are a few ways to specify
this; here's one way:

MAP
    :
   PROJECTION
       "proj=merc"
       "a=6378137"
       "b=6378137"
       "lat_ts=0.0"
       "lon_0=0.0"
       "x_0=0.0"
       "y_0=0"
       "k=1.0"
       "units=m"
       "nadgrids=@null"
       "no_defs"
   END

Next you must tell mapserver the coordinate system of each of the source
layers.  It looks like your layers are in "British National Grid" so use:

   LAYER
     :
       PROJECTION
            "EPSG:27700"