[MS4W-Users] slow access to PostGIS layer

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 12:50:27 EST 2012

I'm facing very bad performances when accessing a polygonal layer on
PostGIS.
The layer is not that heavy and complex. It is made by 20 polygons with
about 4000 to 56000 vertices.

The raw query (SELECT the_geom FROM mytable), performed through the psql
console, fetches the results in about 185 ms.
Logging the layer with DEBUG 5 shows that iterating over the features takes
about 7.5 s.
The time between consecutive msPostGISLayerNextShape calls is about 0.3/0.4
s.
Here is the log file: http://www.giovanniallegri.it/share/mspglog.txt

The sime times happen with ms4w 3.0.6 and 3.0.4_dev.
PostGIS is 1.5 on Postgresql 8.4, with no customized options.
I'm working on a Windows 7 machine, but the work should be deployed on a
Windows Server 2003.

I'm not using connection pooling, but I was facing similar performances
before disabling it.
giovanni